Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sweet and Hot Tofu

The recipe is super easy to make and tastes great (and looks nice, too). Frozen and thawed tofu is key here because it acts like a sponge and soaks up the sauce. I usually throw a package or two of tofu in the freezer when I get home from the grocery store and thaw it when I need it.


INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp garlic chili sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 pkg firm tofu, frozen and thawed
- 1/2 green pepper, large dice
- 1 red pepper, large dice
- 4 scallions, cut into 1/2" sections

METHOD
1. Heat sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan over med-lo heat. Add chili garlic sauce and salt and mix well. Turn off heat.
2. Squeeze water out of tofu and dice. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok over med-hi heat. Fry tofu for a few mins, until golden. Remove from wok. Add 1 tbsp of oil and stir fry pepper for 2-3 mins. Add scallions and fry for 1 min. Add tofu and sauce to the pan. Reduce heat and let bubble for a few mins, allowing the sauce to thicken. Serve over rice.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for another great recipe! Do you remove the tofu from the water, or do you just freeze the whole package straight from the grocery store?

Vegan Dad said...

I freeze the whole package.

shelby said...

What a great meal for a quick, flavorful dinner! I can't wait to try it!

Chi-Chi said...

Do you make the garlic chili sauce or buy it?

Vegan Dad said...

chi-chi
I buy it. But now I am intrigued about how to make it.

Mags said...

I just wanted to say thank you! I have decided that I must become Vegan because I am no longer able to tolerate the symptoms of my food allergies. I go grudgingly but I have found your blog and to my surprise it is a culinary delight! The pictures help me to see just how beautiful the food is. With your Homemade Vegan Mayo, Vegan Mac and Cheese, I feel like the transition will be fine. Now if I can find a really good ice cream...
All in all, Mahalo Nui Loa!
Maggie
Honolulu, HI

Sarah said...

This was so good! Unfortunately I didn't have any chili sauce (& didn't want to run to the store!) so I used a weird combo of hot sauce, garlic, ketchup & soy sauce in its place. It worked (surprisingly)! Everything else I followed exactly & it was perfect. Very addictive.

Anonymous said...

I've read your blog for quite awhile and love using it as dinner inspirations. Tonight I made the sweet/hot tofu and the easy lunchtime noodles for my family. We're all vegetarian, but I dont think anyone noticed/cared that the meal was vegan too! Also, my omni mom went back for THIRDS of the tofu, she loved it so much.

Thanks so much for the great recipes! Theyre super easy to follow, and have great results.

Heather said...

I made this for lunch today (I'm a little behind!) and I couldn't believe how easy it was! The whole thing came together in 20 minutes and the sauce was great. It was easier to make than opening a jar of pre-made sauce stuff. I halved the tofu and doubled the green peppers (it was all I had on hand), but it still worked well.

Samanpka said...

Thanks for this recipe, it's delicious. I'll be moving in a few months and will no longer be able to go to my favorite Thai restaurant which serves a tofu dish that's somewhat similar to this. Since chili paste isn't really available around here, I ground up a fresh chili pepper and a couple of dried ones, along with some garlic and ginger, in the food processor and substituted that for the paste. I also added basil at the end. The only problem was that the frozen tofu seemed to soak up a lot more oil than fresh tofu normally does - is this a normal difference? I think in the future I may skip the freezing in order to use less oil. Great recipe though - wish my dad had cooked like that!