For the Scaloppine
- make the following alterations to the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon
1. Reduce wheat gluten flour to 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
2. Replace bread crumbs with an equal amount of instant oatmeal, pulsed in a coffee grinder until coarsely ground (i.e. not fine like flour)
3. When dough is made, press golf ball-sized pieces flat with the heel of your hand as flat as possible. Fry for 2-3 mins per side.
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp poultry spice
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp soy creamer
- salt and pepper to taste
1. When done frying the scaloppine, add sherry to the pan. Let bubble and reduce by about half. Add in 3/4 cup of the stock and margarine.
2. While margarine melts, add cornstarch to remaining stock and stir with a fork to dissolve. Add to pan and let thicken.
3. Add spices and yeast (if using), then creamer. Season to taste.