- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups of water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, minced
- 2 cups chopped seitan (or 1 can of chickpeas), optional
- 1 lb cubed potatoes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp berbere (or more)
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 cup red lentils
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 six oz can tomato paste
1. Rinse split peas and place in a pot with the 3 cups of water. Bring to boiling, cover, and simmer until soft. Drain off excess water.
2. While peas are cooking, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add spices and fry for 1 min. Add onions, garlic, and ginger, and fry for 5-7 mins, until onions are soft. The spices may stick to the bottom of the pot, so periodically add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze.
3. Add seitan (if using), potatoes, carrots, and berbere. Fry for 2 mins. Add tomatoes, beans, lentils, and cooked split peas, and mix well. Add enough water to the pot to cover the veggies by about 1/2 inch. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to bubbling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 30 mins. Stir periodically to keep lentils and veggies from sticking.
5. Stir in parsley and tomato paste and cook for 5 mins.