Friday, December 14, 2007

Snobby Joes: Veganomicon Rocks the Lentil

Today was a busy day with Vegan Mom volunteering at the school's Christmas bazaar and me looking after the kids and then taking them to said bazaar (for which we baked chocolate cupcakes). So, tonight we cracked open Veganomicon again and joined forces to make these Snobby Joes. We all loved them, and it is a great way to get the kids to unknowingly chug back lentils. I like a Sloppy Joe with a bit more bite than this recipe provides, so I squirted in a few tbsp of ketchup and a tbsp of red wine vinegar. If I had some I would have added a dash of Tabasco sauce.

The recipe is posted on the PPK site.

9 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

This looks like Sunday dinner to me. Good thing this is one of the recipes that is a freebie!

Calimaryn said...

Yummy! When I made the Snobby Joe's they turned out fiery. Possibly because I do not own a mild or basic chili powder. I do need to try these again though. So thank you for reminding me!

Happy Herbivore said...

I'm unnaturally addicted to this recipe. When I met Isa before I even said, "hello!" I blurted out how much I loved the Snobby Joes...

Veg-a-Nut said...

Well, we finally made these awesome Snobby Joes. They are fantastic. Thanks for putting the bug in my ear to do so!

Kelly said...

ok its not really about snobby joes (which are great nonetheless)... read your monthly goal and i have a suggestion from veganomicon for your flexatarian friend's children: cheater beans. throw in some tofu pups and its kid-friendly beans and weiners. delicious! (i would also like to add that, since i don't have light molasses, i used 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2 tsp blackstrap molasses.)

Vegan Dad said...

kelly,
Thanks for the idea. I will have to go look that recipe up.

Sara said...

How do I know if my tempeh is spoiled? I bought some the other day and it has an expiration of 10/2. However, when I opened it up it was dark on one side?? It didn't smell bad though. Still using it for this recipe, so I guess I'll find out. lol

Vegan Dad said...

I have bought a few packs of tempeh had a blackish hue to them. But, since it smelled OK I used it anyway. And I'm still here. I store my tempeh in the freezer now and thaw when needed.

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing, simple recipe. I love it and so did my omni dad. The maple syrup and mustard gave it an excellent intriging flavour.