- 3 1/2 to 4 cups sifted flour
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup firm silken tofu
- 2 tbsp melted margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
1. Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour with yeast in a large bowl.
2. Heat milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, shortening, and salt in a saucepan with high sides on med-lo heat until shortening melts. Add in tofu and blend with a hand blender until very smooth. Alternately, stick it in a blender and blend away. Add to flour.
3. Beat dough with a hand mixer/beater on low for 1 min. Then beat on high for 3 mins until smooth. Add in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead in a counter top mixer with a dough hook, or by hand on a floured surface, until smooth.
4. Place in a clean bowl well greased with margarine, turning dough to coat in margarine. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for an hour and a half, or until doubled in size.
5. Punch dough down and roll into a 10" x 14" rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and pecans and sprinkle evenly over dough. Roll up like a jelly roll along the long side and seal the seam. Bring the two ends together and seal the seam (i.e. make a ring). Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.6. Use a serrated knife to cut slices in the dough about 1 inch apart, and about half of the way through the ring (start by the seam and work your way around). Turn each 1" section a bit so they are on a bit of an angle. Cover with a towel and let rise for 45 mins
7. Bake at 350 for 20-25 mins, until outside is a deep golden brown.
8. When cooled but still a bit warm, drizzle with glaze: 1 cup icing sugar mixed with 2 tbsp soymilk and 1/2 tsp vanilla.