Monday, July 28, 2008

Fettuccine Marsala

The first thing I did when I got home was pull out the pasta maker because I didn't get to play with it enough before I left for the research trip. I made a batch of Bryanna's fresh vegan pasta which turned out really well. I have learned that the secret to good eggless pasta is not to cook it too much. Once you have some pasta on hand (you can refrigerate or freeze fresh pasta), this dish is quick, easy, and tasty.

INGREDIENTS
Serves two
- 3 cups cooked fettuccine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cremini mushroom, quartered
- 1/3 cup marsala
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste

METHOD
1. Get water boiling and cook your pasta.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Saute shallots and garlic for 5 mins, until soft. Add mushrooms and cook for 4-5 mins, until beginning to soften.
3. Add marsala and sugar to the pan and cook until almost all reduced. Then add paste and water and bring to bubbling. Add more water if you want a thinner sauce. Season to taste.
4. Add cooked pasta to the pan and heat through. Garnish with parsley and serve.