Thursday, July 31, 2008

An Even More Perfect Burger?

We needed a quick meal tonight, and since it felt nice and summery I thought burgers and fries out on the back porch sounded like a good idea. But there were a few snags. First, I only had half a block of tempeh. And no bread crumbs. And no soy sauce. So I made a few substitutions and created a similar but different tempeh burger. One that may even be better than the original in that it has a more meaty texture. Try it and see what you think.


INGREDIENTS
Makes 6 burgers
- 1/2 pkg tempeh, grated (boil for 10 mins first, then cool, if you don't like tempeh's taste)
- 2 vegan sausages, grated (or pulsed in a blender)
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp each garlic and onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- other spices of your choice (oregano, sage, parsley, fennel, etc.)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp HP/A1/or BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetarian stir fry sauce
- 2-4 tbsp water

METHOD
1. Mix together tempeh, sausage, wheat gluten, and spices in a bowl. Add in sauces and enough water to make a firm dough. Squish dough between your fingers for a min or so to thoroughly mix. Divide in 6 portions and shape in patties (I find thin patties work best, but you could make 4 thicker ones if you want).
2. Heat a think layer of oil in a frying pan over med-lo heat. Cook burgers for about 5 mins per side, until firm to the touch.

9 comments:

Nikki said...

I enjoyed your previous tempeh burger, so I'm interested in trying this one. When you say vegan sausage....do you think smartlife sausage would work?

Vegan Dad said...

nikki,
I don't see why not--though I have never actually had smartlife.

John Plummer said...

Better? Good god. I am going to have to try these, pronto! I have some Julie Hasson sausages in the freezer, so should be good to go.

carlikup said...

I VeganDad!

I just wanted to drop by and let you know that I find your blog absolutely amazing!

Vegan Dad said...

John,
I made them with you in mind.

Bianca said...

This sounds amazing! I just bought some more Tofurkey sausauges for a kebab recipe, and I'm gonna have 2 left over. I'll use those to make these!

jennycestcake said...

These sound great! I made some RFD burgers last weekend and they took me forever and didn't turn out well at all! I can tell already that this easy recipe (thank you!) will result in a delicious burger!

Jamie the Foodie said...

looks yummy, as usual! i just have to find where i can purchase tempeh around here. i must try these! i make tofu burgers that my husband loves, but i would prefer something "meatier". thanks!

Tami (Vegan Appetite) said...

We tried these the other night for dinner... Wow! I'd been meaning to try your first burger since you posted it, but for some reason this one sucked me in first. Definitely the best burger I've ever had! Thank you very much for the recipe.