- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 small papaya (or mango), peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch cayenne
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry onion for 5 mins, until soft and translucent. Do not brown.
2. Add papaya to the pan and fry for 3-4 mins. It should darken and bit and begin to release some juice. Add vinegar to the pan and let it reduce right down (about 2 mins).
3. Add water and sugar to the pan and mix well. The water should cook off, but if it seems too dry, add another tbsp. Let relish cook and thicken.
4. Add spices and adjust seasonings to taste. Remove from heat and stir in green onions. Let cool a bit and serve. Store leftovers in the fridge.