- 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 jar Thai kitchen green curry paste, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp yellow curry paste
- 2 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped
- 6 green cardamom pods, crushed open
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup coarsely chopped spinach
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- salt ( if needed)
- freshly ground white pepper
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 pkg firm tofu, pressed, and cut into large cubes
- large handful of green beans
- heaping tbsp hoisin sauce
- chopped cilantro for garnish
Get 2 cups of rice cooking in a rice cooker.
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and water and bring to bubbling. Add curry pastes and cook for 2 mins, stirring constantly. Add in onion, lemongrass, cardamom, coriander, cilantro, and spinach. Cook for about 5 mins, until onion softens and spinach has cooked down.
2. Add coconut milk and simmer, uncovered, for at least 30 mins.
3. Strain sauce and return to pan. Add soy sauce and lime juice, and season to taste.
4. While sauce is simmering, coat tofu cubes in cornstarch and deep fry in 350 degree oil for 3-4 mins.
5. And, while all that is going on, trim the green beans and steam for 4-5 mins, until tender but not flaccid. When done, toss in hoisin sauce.
6. If you like the pic above, press the cooked rice into a small bowl and place in the center of a shallow bowl. Ring the rice with green beans. Top rice with a piece of tofu. Spoon some curry sauce over top of it all and garnish with cilantro.