Makes 6 large, or 8 medium, naan
- 1/2 cup warm soy milk
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp finely ground flax seed
- 6 tbsp water
- 6 tbsp water
- pinch of sugar
- 4-5 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
1. Using a whisk, dissolve yeast into warm soy milk with sugar. You may need to let the yeast sit in the milk a bit before it all dissolves in. Set aside for 10 mins.
2. Whisk flax into water. Set aside for a few mins.
3. Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl. Add in yeast mixture (by this time it should be a thick foam), oil, soy yogurt, water, and flax mixture (it should have thickened by now--whisk it a few times before adding). Add in enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 10 mins, until smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for about 40-50 mins, until doubled in bulk.
5. Divide dough into 6 or 8 pieces and roll into an oval shape about 1/4 inch thick. Bake on a hot ceramic stone for 3-4 mins, until puffed and browned (see note below).
1. Place a square ceramic pizza stone on top of 4 soup cans on top of your BBQ grill. Make sure you can still close the BBQ lid. Cut cans down a bit with a hacksaw if need be (or get shorter cans).
2. Heat up grill on high for at least 15 mins to allow stone to heat up.
3. Bake naan on hot stone with lid closed so that the hot air can circulate.