Today started all spring-like at 8 degrees above zero (46 F) and raining, but as the day wore on rain turned to snow and the temperature sank to -8 (18 F). It's enough to make you want to cry, especially when other bloggers have already have harvested radishes from their gardens! Check out tonight's view from my back porch. Anyway, this hearty soup hit the spot tonight, and it comes courtesy of Vegan Mom. The white beans and potatoes provide texture and a mellow undertone, while the pepperoni gives the broth a smoky flavour and bursts of spice.
Soup like this is all about chucking a bunch of stuff in a pot, so the amount of each ingredient you use is totally up to you.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- dried macaroni
- pepperoni, cut into chunks
- water, or veggie broth
- frozen peas
- frozen corn
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion and celery for about 5 mins, until onion is translucent. Add in potatoes, beans, macaroni, pepperoni, and water. Bring to bubbling, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender and pasta is cooked.
2. Add in peas and corn and heat through. Serve with crusty bread.