I didn't have anything to celebrate (seeing as I have to go back to work tomorrow), but this is the next recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice so celebration bread it was. If you actually had people over for some kind of celebration, this bread is bound to impress--a double braided loaf crammed with fruit and nuts. After messing up the challah, I got the braiding technique right this time, but found that my loaf rose a little lopsided. Oh well. It still tastes great. The recipe is not on Google Books, but you really should buy a copy of the book.
1. I used pecans instead of walnuts since I had no walnuts.
2. I did not have enough dried cranberries, so I used a mix of cranberries, dried cherries, and some leftover candied orange peel from Christmas. It was actually really good.
1. I subbed an equal weight of soy yogurt for the eggs.
2. I subbed soy milk for the milk.
3. I subbed margarine for the butter.
4. I used plain soy milk instead of the egg wash. As you can see, you can still get that deep brown and glossy crust without egg whites.