Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Best Ever Vegan Alfredo!

I saw this recipe while perusing Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan last night. The recipe originally comes from Lachesis on the PPK forum. I am always on the lookout for a great white sauce, and have tried my hand at my own (see here). This one is pretty much the same idea but was oh so much better! Smooth, creamy, and totally like actual alfredo! This is what I will be serving next time I have omnis over for dinner (but I think I will add roasted garlic for more depth of flavour). The original recipe calls for mushrooms marinated in vegan Worcestershire sauce (which I can't get here), and since Son#1 complains every time he see a whole, or partially whole, mushroom I decided to leave them out. So, be sure to look at the original post. Instead, I made a half-recipe of quick seitan cutlets which I sliced with the pasta and sauce. Incredible!

INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 pkg extra firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu)
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp arrowroot powder

METHOD
1. Blend all ingredients except arrowroot powder in a food processor until creamy and smooth. Heat in a saucepan over med-lo heat until just about bubbling.
2. Remove some of the sauce and mix with 2 tbsp of the arrowroot, then add back to the saucepan. Heat, but don't boil. If sauce is too thin, add the remaining tbsp (or more). Whisk smooth.
3. Serve over pasta with peas and seitan slices.