Sunday, March 30, 2008

Black Bean Burritos

The kids absolutely loved these wee little burritos. Son#1 ate eight. Hmmm . . . I hope there aren't any repercussions from such excessive bean intake.

- 8 small wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- vegan cheese
- salsa

1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and saute onions for 10 mins,until deep golden brown. Add beans and cook for 2 mins, until heated through. Roughly mash beans.
2. Add water and spices and mix well. Remove from heat.
3. Heat a clean pan over medium heat. Heat up a tortilla on pan for a few seconds. Spread 1/8 of the bean mixture over 3/4 of the tortilla. Top with some cheese and a heaping tsp of salsa. Roll up tortilla, starting at end with beans/salsa/cheese. Place burrito back on pan and brown top and bottom. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
4. Cut each burrito into three. Serve.


Ruby Red Vegan said...

Oh, but there are repercussions from too many beans... There's going to be a lot of tootin' going on around the house in the very near future, ew! :)

Cumin is so good in burritos! This is a good idea for a quick college-friendly dinner, too! And you managed to fold your burritos perfectly.

Calimaryn said...

This is brilliant! I imagine a Nutritional Yeast sauce would work just fine amidst the beans too. Yummy! I am so going to make this as a snacky lunch asap!

Alice (in Veganland) said...

The sometimes inconvenient repercussions from eating too many beans... I cooked black bean brownies last week, no one told me about this (I should have known better...), and I almost killed my boyfriend over night!

Just Deb said...

This sounds really good. Easy is the bet part. :-)


Stacey said...

Mmmm... I am eating these as I type and they are great! Too bad my burrito folding skills are quite poor.