Saturday, March 29, 2008

Susan's Vegan Omelette (sort of)

Do you remember when I went to DC and ate at the Sticky Fingers Bakery? They served a great egg and sausage muffin that I thought I would try to re-create today. So I Googled "vegan omelette" was sent right away to Fatfree Vegan Kitchen. Susan, as you may already know, is a vegan culinary genius with photography skills to pay the bills. Actually, hers was the first blog I started to read. So for lunch I whipped up a double recipe, but instead of making an omelette I cooked the tofu mixture like you would a pancake (see pic below), and served it with vegenaise and a tomato slice (no sausage patties handy) and plenty of ketchup. If one were so obliged he/she could slap on some vegan cheese.
For dinner (which was actually a very late brunch) I whipped up a second double batch to make an actual omelette. This was less successful because I tried to make too huge an omelette and could not get it to fold over without breaking. Suddenly, I was looking at scrambled tofu (I don't seem to have my kitchen mojo working these past few days). But, it all turned out alright, as the pic above attests (the pic came out so well I had to put it first). I scrambled everything together, then pushed it back to the center of the pan. I let it cook for a few minutes, flipped it over, and cooked it some more. The end result was more wet and pasty (for lack of a better term) than actual scrambled eggs, but it tasted great. I would like to tinker with the recipe a bit to see if I can make a slightly more durable omelette. In the meantime, try this recipe out for yourself.