Vegan Mom and I have decided to reinstate our Friday night kid-free dinners. We just need one night a week where we can actually eat sitting down for the whole meal, instead of fetching drinks for the kids, wiping spills, keeping Son#3 from trying to escape from his high chair, etc. So, after the kids are in bed we sit down for our own meal. Tonight I reformed the recipe and method for making the seitan cutlets, and was quite happy with the results. I also made a risotto and will post the recipe tomorrow.
- 1/2 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cold water or veggie broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken-style broth powder
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- freshly ground white pepper
Get your water on its way to boiling under a 2-tiered bamboo steamer.
1. Mash beans finely with a fork. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix together into a dough. Knead for a few minutes.
2. Divide dough into 6 pieces and press into cutlets with the heel of your hand. Wet your hands with water is dough is a bit sticky.
3. Wet a tea towel. Lay half of the towel in the bottom tier of the steamer, place 3 cutlets on the towel, then fold over towel to cover. Repeat with a new towel and the 3 remaining cutlets in the top tier.