Saturday, September 8, 2007

Deli-Cinq Seitan


Tonight was an experiment in seitan. Most weekends I try to make a batch of seitan to use during the week. I like this recipe, but made a few alterations this time. I cut the "dough" into pieces to mimic chicken breasts, tripled the broth, and cooked it on low in a crock pot. This made a very tender, and freakishly meat-like seitan.

Then, I marinated the seitan pieces for a few hours in the following:
- 1/3 can of Five Alive frozen concentrate, thawed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried basil

I grilled the seitan about 8 mins per side on med-high on the BBQ, and served with mashed potatoes, broccoli, and carrots.
TIP: you can steam the veggies over the boiling potatoes--save yourself washing another pot!

VERDICT: The kids loved it, and gobbled it all down.