For the Dhal:
This recipe is awesome and pretty easy to make. It is nourishing and tasty. If you love Indian food, the you will love this dish. I double the recipe so there are lots of leftovers.
- 3/4 cup red lentils (the small ones--they cook in 15-20 mins)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 large sliced onion
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin (or more, if you like)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (or more, of you like)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 curry leaves, crushed
1. Put lentils, water, tumeric, and onion in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer (with the lid on) until lentils are soft. When the lentils are done, they will break apart when you stir them, making a thick(ish) paste.
2. Add the salt and tomatoes and simmer until heated through.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan, and fry garlic until golden. Add spices and stir into lentil mixure. Serve.
A Note on Rice: I am not going to post a recipe for rice here, but just wanted to say that basamti rice is essential for Indian food. It is wonderfully fluffy, never sticks, and has a great flavour.