I love a hearty soup with some freshly baked sweet scones (sorry, no pic.) Again, my mother-in-law is responsible for this meal, which everybody loved.
For the Soup:
Quantities are up to you, depending on what flavours you like best, and what you have in the fridge. The basic ingredients: onion, garlic, leek, red pepper, potato, cauliflower, water.
1. Saute onion, garlic, and leek in oil in a large soup pot until soft.
2. Add red pepper and cook a few mins more.
3. Add peeled and cubed potato and cauliflower florets. Cover with water.
4. Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are soft.
5. Blend soup with handmixer until smooth. You can add soy creamer or soymilk if you want it even creamier.
6. Season to taste with salt, pepper, cumin, and coriander.
For the Sweet Scones:
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp cold non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 1 cup (or so) plain soymilk
Preheat Oven to 425
1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl,
2. Add margarine and work it into the flour with your hands until it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Add in enough soymilk and stir with a fork to make a soft dough (can be a little sticky)
4. Drop very generous spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet (or form into pucks with floured hands)
5. Bake for about 12 mins, or until golden brown. Serve warm.