Monday, September 17, 2007

Mac and Cheese

I am working from home today, prepping for the first full seminar in my "Sex and Violence in Early America" course (mmmmm . . . Foucauldian . . . ). So, I was in charge of lunch. I went with Mac and "Cheese," always a favourite with the kids. I basically use the Mac and Cheez sauce from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. But, I find the sauce a little too thick and not cheesy enough (the miso gives it more a more cheesy bite), so I make a few alterations.

INGREDIENTS:
- 1/3 c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp each onion powder, garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pinch of tumeric, nutmeg
- 2 cups plain soy/rice milk
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp mellow miso

METHOD:
1. Start cooking 1/3 pkg. of dry macaroni in boiling water.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients in a saucepan.
3. Whisk in soymilk, oil, mustard until smooth.
4. Continually whisk over med-hi heat until bubbling. (I like a thinner sauce--add more flour if you want, or more soymilk if you want the sauce even thinner).
5. Remove from heat and whisk in miso until combined.
6. Drain pasta, and smother with sauce. Serve! (I like it with ketchup on top.)