- about 25 seitan "ribs" (I cook up ribs when I make my seitan, but you could also cut strips off a seitan roast)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
1. Toss ribs in oil until well coated.
2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients, except baking soda, in a bowl.
3. Grill seitan on a hot grill for 3-4 mins per side, until browned and crispy. Turn down grill to medium.
4. Add baking soda to maple syrup mixture. Add seitan strips and turn to coat.
5. Transfer to a 9x13 stoneware baking dish. Place on the BBQ, uncovered. Cook until sauce is reduced by at least half (about 20-25 mins).
A NOTE ON SEITAN
I use Bryanna Clark Grogan's seitan recipes. The beefy seitan that I made this week is one of my favourites. I can't post the recipe here since I got it from her quarterly newsletter, which I highly recommend. It costs $20 for the year (with complete access to all past issues) and every issue is crammed with about 50-60 recipes. Check it out here.