Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Maple Garlic Ribs

Vegans do not eat honey as it is considered an animal product. So, this is my version of honey garlic ribs done with maple syrup. They are delicious and sticky sweet (but they do not photograph well).

INGREDIENTS:
- about 25 seitan "ribs" (I cook up ribs when I make my seitan, but you could also cut strips off a seitan roast)
- oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda

METHOD:
1. Toss ribs in oil until well coated.
2. Mix together the rest of the ingredients, except baking soda, in a bowl.
3. Grill seitan on a hot grill for 3-4 mins per side, until browned and crispy. Turn down grill to medium.
4. Add baking soda to maple syrup mixture. Add seitan strips and turn to coat.
5. Transfer to a 9x13 stoneware baking dish. Place on the BBQ, uncovered. Cook until sauce is reduced by at least half (about 20-25 mins).

A NOTE ON SEITAN
I use Bryanna Clark Grogan's seitan recipes. The beefy seitan that I made this week is one of my favourites. I can't post the recipe here since I got it from her quarterly newsletter, which I highly recommend. It costs $20 for the year (with complete access to all past issues) and every issue is crammed with about 50-60 recipes. Check it out here.