- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp shortening
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- melted margarine
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Put lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add soymilk to the 3/4 cup line. Mix and set aside to thicken.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Mix in shortening with your fingers until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Add in soy milk mixture and mix into a dough.
3. Turn out into a floured surface and knead lightly for 30 seconds. Pat to 3/4 inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter or drinking glass to cut into circles.
4. Place on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.