Thursday, February 7, 2008

Tofu Fish Sticks and Tartar Sauce

A few days ago Krys asked if I had a good recipe for fish and chips. I didn't. So, I thought I would try to work out a palatable fish stick recipe tonight. The results were pretty good--the boys loved them and asked for seconds! I wanted them (the fish sticks, not the boys) to have a fishier taste, but I am not sure how to do that. I would also have liked the tofu to be a little firmer, but that is hard to do when the tofu is marinated. I am not really selling these, am I?

INGREDIENTS
Marinade
- 1 pkg tofu, cut into strips/sticks
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 sheet nori
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
METHOD
1. Process nori into a powder in a coffee grinder or food processor. Mix with other ingredients in a shallow dish and marinate tofu for a few hours.
Breading
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp kelp granules (optional)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper

- 1 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice

METHOD
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil.
1. Mix together breading ingredients in a shallow dish. Roll tofu in breading to coat.
2. Mix lemon juice into soy milk and stir until thickened. Dip breaded tofu into soy milk mixture, then coat again with dry breading.
3. Place on cookie sheet. Lightly spray with cooking oil.
4. Bake 15 mins. Flip. Bake 15 more mins. Seve with tartar sauce.

Tartar Sauce
Mix together the following:
- 1 cup vegenaise
- 1 dill pickle, minced
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- small drop of mustard