Sunday, January 6, 2008

Vegan Dad on the Road: Sticky Fingers Bakery

On the recommendation of many I went to the Sticky Fingers Bakery. What a treat! First, feast your eyes on this display case filled with 100% vegan goodies! I went there for breakfast, so I went with the egg and sausage muffin. I was informed later that it tastes even better heated, and I think a splash of ketchup would have been good too. The "egg" part is flour-based, and had good texture. I would like to see if I could replicate this at home, but am at a bit of a loss how to do so.
Of course, what is breakfast without a cinnamon bun the size of your head? These had a nice soft "eggy" texture to the pastry, and that sticky-doughy center that just makes your day.The coolest part was meeting the owner, Kirsten, who let me take pics of the store and talked about the dishes I had just eaten. It just reinforced my long-standing desire to open a vegan cafe one day. She made sure I left with some "afters" to munch during my conference. The first was this pecan cookie--delightfully crisp on the outside but still chewy on the inside even though the cookie was fairly flat. Perfection!
The second was this Little Devil--chocolate cake with creme filling and a thin chocolate glace icing. You'll have to excuse the crappy pic here--it was taken in the hotel room with poor lighting. I kept this treat cool in the ice bucket and enjoyed it for an evening snack.
Thanks to everyone at Sticky Fingers who made my visit so enjoyable! On a scale of one to ten, I give them an eleven.