Makes 6 calzones
- double recipe of pizza dough from Vegan With a Vengeance
- Tofutti mozzarella cheese slices
- 6 mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup of small diced eggplant
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- spaghetti sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Makes the sausage crumbles. Cool.
2. Saute pepper, eggplant, and mushrooms in oil on med-hi until softened (about 8-10 mins). Cool.
3. Divide dough into six pieces. Using a rolling pin, flatten one dough piece into a circle on a lightly floured surface, about 8 inches round and 1/4 inch thick.
4. Put a cheese slice in centre of the dough, add a spoonful of spaghetti sauce, some sausage crumbles, some some of the pepper mixture, and top with another cheese slice.
5. Fold in half and seal the seam with a bit of water.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes on a baking stone until golden brown.
7. Serve with warmed spaghetti sauce for dipping.
A FEW TIPS:
1. Make sure your filling in completely cool, otherwise your dough will sog.
2. Keep the seam of the calzone clean of sauce and filling. I find it best to bring both edges up like a taco, pinch the edge together, then lay the calzone flat and finish the seal.
3. I flip the calzone a few times to keep one side from getting too brown. You could also bake them on a cookie sheet, and brush the soymilk for a nice glazed look.