Thursday, January 24, 2008

Apple Cider Coconut Curry

I used to make something like this with chicken back in the day. Today, as I stood in front of the open fridge looking at the last of the chicken seitan and a crisper full of apples (destined to be apple sauce in the near future), this recipe began forming in my mind. I decided to serve it over quinoa, just to boost the protein for those three growing boys tearing around the house. They all liked it (Son #3 had thirds) which is good since this recipe makes enough for plenty of leftovers.


INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 onions, halved and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups sliced chicken seitan
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- cilantro to garnish

METHOD
1. Heat oil in a small stock pot or large saucepan over med-hi heat. Saute onions for 10-15 mins, stirring often, until deep golden brown. Add in garlic and fry 2 mins. Add in seitan and fry for 1 min.
2. Add in raisins, almonds, apples, and spices and mix well. Add in water and apple cider/juice. Bring to bubbling and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 mins, until sauce thickens a bit.
3. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk. Adjust seasonings to taste. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just found your blog and am happy I did. I've already taken down a few of your recipes to add to my ever growing pile of "recipes to try", I am particularly interested in the Thai Corn Fritters, they sound wonderful.

I am so often impressed, since I've begun following and keeping a vegan blog, at how creative people are with their leftovers. That one can just look in their fridge and come up with something that looks as tasty as your Apple Cider Coconut Curry! Me, if I know I have things in the fridge that need to be eaten, I'll have to think for days before coming up with something.

arthursmommy said...

Wow, I never thought of putting apples in curry. It sounds very tastey. Our growing boy is just 16 months old. But he does like a variety of food. As always, thanks so much for sharing your recipes.

Krys

Anke said...

this is the most exotic curry combo I've come across so far. but it sounds absolutely marvellous. I can totally see the tastes come together to form a not-from-this-earth meal. sounds really good :-)

kim said...

That's great that your boys are into different kinds of food. My family starts backing out of the room when I say the word "curry".

Chris said...

Looks great! I'll definitely have to file this one away.

Anonymous said...

I'm wolfing down your Coconut Curry Chickpeas as I type this, and I can't wait to try this recipe too!

-Britney

Pratima said...

This was excellent! And I know from curry – having grown up eating Nepali food. I’m going to use the leftover coconut milk in the Potato Cauliflower Mash tomorrow night. Thanks!