- wheat tortillas (I custom made them to fit the casserole dish)
- 1 can kidney beans (or whatever beans you like)
- 1 can refried beans
- frozen corn
- enchilada sauce (recipe follows)
- vegan sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cilantro for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Put a thick layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 2 qt casserole dish. Put down a single layer of tortilla. Spread on a layer of refried beans (1/3 of the can), and a layer of nacho sauce. Top with some corn, 1/3 of the beans, and more enchilada sauce.
2. Repeat again, and then again. Top with a final layer of tortilla. Brush with a thin layer of olive oil. Bake for 30 mins, or until top is golden brown and casserole is bubbling.
3. Serve topped with vegan sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and cilantro.
This is not really enchilada sauce--just something I whipped up with stuff I had in the pantry to give some tomato and chili flavour to the casserole.
- 1 14oz can tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup water
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and cook for 10 mins over medium heat.