Sunday, January 6, 2008

Vegan Dad on the Road: Asylum

Lunch was at Asylum, which seemed like a good place because it has both a vegan and a "regular" Sunday brunch and I was out with a colleague. As you can see from the pic, Asylum is not your typical Sunday brunch place. While we scarfed back our food the bartender played a mix of thrash metal, hip hop, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Guns N' Roses at an almost ludicrous volume.
For an appetizer I had the vegan wings. For a second I panicked and thought they had messed up my order these were so meat-like. They were tender and delicious--by far the most tender and chicken-like seiten I have had. The lighting was pretty bad, so this pic is not so great.
For the entree I had the Huevos Rancheros which were fantastic. The black beans were perfectly spiced and were earthy and warm. The corn tortilla went well with the scrambled tofu, and the potatoes added a hearty touch. Very satisfying and very filling. I highly recommend this brunch (but maybe leave grandma at home).